Coastal protection work in Cotonou
An intense erosion problem was plaguing the eastern part of the city of Cotonou, Benin. Wave action was causing an average coastal retreat of 10 m/year, with disastrous impacts, including numerous homes being washed away every year.
This project aimed to protect (over a length of 7 km) the stretch of coastline affected by this problem, by setting up a system of dikes with spikes. Norda Stelo’s coastal engineering team performed the design review of the structures, updated the various studies, supervised the work and managed the project during construction.
- Maintenance of environmental integrity to preserve the coastal ecosystem
- Large-scale project in a densely populated area
- High number of stakeholders: the local community, the five funders and the Ministry of Urban Development, Housing and Sanitation
- Use of physical and digital modelling for a more in-depth technical analysis
- Capacity development of the engineers and professionals from Benin